Posted by Faye Bell on February 11, 2012 at 23:09:31:
I am sure that many of you have already heard about the tragic fire at a Henry County, Georgia storage facility where some of HERB BRIDGES' private collection had been stored.
Many of Herb's wonderful GWTW treasures of memorabilia have been on loan to the ROAD TO TARA MUSEUM in Jones, Georgia, for several years now. The museum periodically rotates the collectibles and was storing those items not presently on display in a facility in Henry Country. A mysterious fire started around 10:00 p.m. on Thursday evening and raged all through the night.
I called Herb yesterday morning to express my concern and dismay, only to find he was not aware of any damage to his items. He had not seen the Atlanta Journal Constitutions' online article about the fire, nor was there anything about it in his morning paper. Many of the irreplaceable items had just recently been returned to the facility after being on display for six months in Gadsden, Alabama at a marvelous GWTW display headed up by George Terrell.
Herb told me today because the arson inspectors will not let anyone get into the actual burned ruins, he, nor the Road to Tara staff, have been able to get into the facility to try to evaluate the damage. The fire marshals will not let anyone in until Tuesday, at the earliest. He assured me as soon as he knew any definite information about the possibility of being able to salvage anything, he would keep me posted of what is happening.
Needless to say, all of us collectors are so sadden to think that part of Gone With the Wind memorabilia history may now be lost forever.
I am including links to some of the articles that have been reported regarding the fire. If you would like to read them or view the videos, just copy/paste the links and read them as your time permits.
Self-storage fire claims GWTW stash
GWTW memorabilia lost in Henry County blaze
Museum fears that ‘Gone with the Wind’ artifacts might be lost after storage building burns
Henry County firefighters battle large storage facility blaze