VETERANS DAY - 2013

Administrator Posting Only.

Daily Update

[ Daily Update ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Faye Bell on November 10, 2013 at 21:08:26:

Tomorrow we will pay tribute to the men and women who have defended and protected our country from various enemies, both foreign and domestic. Since the inception of our nation, men and women have willingly put their lives on the line to protect and to preserve our God-given freedom. However, many it would appear today, have chosen to take this freedom for granted and have carelessly and erroneously thought that such freedom can be purchased cheaply. This has not been, nor never will be, the case. FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE, nor are our military accomplishments completed without great sacrifices from those who have chosen to help keep America the land of the free and the brave!

It is a very noble thing to serve in the armed forces of our nation, and all Americans need to consider the tremendous debt that we owe to every man and woman who have done so. There are over 25 million Veterans in America today who deserve our thanks and respect for what sacrifices they have made to help us keep the freedom we enjoy on a daily basis.

When thinking of someone's willingness to stand up and fight for us -- and possibly give his or her life for our greater good -- our thoughts quickly also turn to those military families who make sacrifices in many ways while their loved ones are in the military. Unless we have walked in their shoes, we have no idea what all they deal with in taking care of the family while their family member has to be away from them.

No matter what your political preference may be, it is never an excuse to belittle or try to ignore what our military personnel do to help keep America free. I think I'll share something with you -- and, I am certainly not trying to pin any roses on myself. Ever since September 11, 2001 when I see a soldier in uniform -- if I am close enough to him/her to be able to speak to them (i.e., in airport, store, restaurant, etc.) I make a point to go up to them and express to them a simple sentence -- "Thank you for who you are and what you do for us." I am always touched with their response, as many times the surprised look on their faces continually reminds me that they must not receive many expressions of thanks from the general public. If you've never done something like this before, why not do it the next time the opportunity arises for you? The solider will not be the only one who'll be pleased you spoke to him/her, because you'll also be glad you made an effort to let them know their bravery is not forgotten and is appreciated.

As we take time tomorrow to honor the veterans who have served our nation so valiantly and so heroically in different fields of service, I am reminded of the Biblical book of John 15:13 = "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friend."

REMEMBER: "THIS NATION WILL REMAIN THE LAND OF THE FREE ONLY SO LONG AS IT IS THE HOME OF THE BRAVE." ..Elmer Davis

Return to the Daily Update

This message board was specially modified and setup by

Thunder Rain Internet Publishing

For the GWTWMemories.com Website